TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the author (Client) by the Editor (Stephanie Lehmann).
2. Prior to commencement of the editing work, the Client and I will agree on the date when the material will be delivered to me and a fee for the project.
3. I will provide a date when the edited manuscript will be returned to the client. If I need to adjust this date after my work on the project has begun, I will notify the client in writing as soon as possible.
4. Unless otherwise negotiated, the fee for my services will be divided into two payments. Each payment will be 50% of the total.
5. Upon booking my services, I will supply the Client with an invoice for the initial 50% payment. The invoice will include a link to Stripe, a secure online payment processor, where the Client can pay with a credit card or bank transfer.
6. Upon receipt of the initial 50% payment, I will reserve the Client’s slot in my schedule.
7. By submitting the initial 50% payment, the Client confirms they have read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions that are set forth in this document.
8. The client will send the manuscript to my Stephanie.Editor@gmail.com account in a Microsoft Word document as an attachment named with the author’s last name and manuscript title. Please submit pages in the standard industry format: double-spaced in Times New Roman, 12 point. Please remember to number the pages.
9. Upon completion of my editing work, I will send the Client an invoice for the remaining 50% of my fee.
10. If the Client requests additional services (including adding to the word count of the job) after we have agreed on a fee, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline or decline to perform these additional services.
11. If it becomes apparent after I receive the full project (or at an early stage of working on the project) that significantly more work is required than had originally been anticipated when I quoted my fee, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline to carry out the work.
12. I may cancel a service at any time for any reason by providing written notice to the Client. In the unlikely event that I cancel a service, I will provide a refund of any fees paid.
13. The Client is free to cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice. I must acknowledge this cancellation in writing for this to be valid.
14. If the Client cancels within one week of the mutually agreed upon starting date, the initial 50% payment is not refundable.
15. If the Client cancels the work after my editing has begun, I reserve the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fee (less the booking fee).
16. In the event that the Client is touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay (e.g. family crisis, illness, bereavement), the Client should contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy. I aim to be fair and helpful at all times.
17. If I am touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation (e.g. family crisis, illness, bereavement), I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity. The initial payment will be refunded.
18. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client without prior written permission.
19. I will not, under any circumstances, upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorized to do so, in writing, by the Client.
20. All content delivered to me by the Client for the editing project is owned by the Client. In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
21. Following payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of the editing process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
22. This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with, and be governed by, the laws of the state of New York. In the event of a dispute, each party consents and submits to the jurisdiction of any local, state, or federal court located in New York, New York. In the event any action, suit or other proceeding is instituted to remedy, prevent or obtain relief from a breach of this Agreement, arising out of a breach of this Agreement or pertaining to a declaration of rights under this Agreement, the prevailing party shall recover its reasonable attorneys’ fees incurred in each such action, suit or other proceeding, including any and all appeals or petitions.